Utility Assistance through the Michigan Energy Assistance Program
Michigan Energy Assistance Program (MEAP) is a utility assistance program that helps eligible low-income households meet their home energy costs. The program provides payment of bills for one or more of the following:
- Natural Gas
- Heating Oil
- Other deliverable fuel used to provide heat
The MEAP program provides a unique opportunity for households to partner with Flat River Outreach Ministries (FROM) and Lowell Light and Power for utility assistance. That partnership involves a commitment from the program participant to work with a qualified Empowerment Coach at FROM for at least three months, with an option of up to six months. During this time, the participant will learn new skills about energy efficiency, finances, and budgeting.
The program includes
- A six-week financial literacy class
- A professional energy audit for your home
- Ongoing assistance with the energy bill that brought you into the program
- Personalized assistance in addressing energy gaps identified in the audit
- Individual coaching from a trained Empowerment Coach to help you reach your energy, financial, and career goals you’ve identified
- Free CFL bulbs for your home
Qualifications and Enrollment
To find out if you qualify and to begin the enrollment process, call Flat River Outreach Ministries at 616-897-8260, extension 33. Please note that enrollment is limited.